Wednesday, January 9, 2013

So I'm sitting at the Queen Alia International Airport in Amman, Jordan.  


Jordan is a small country sandwiched between Israel and Saudi Arabia, just east of Egypt.  It has about 6.5 million inhabitant, including the 1.9 million who live in Amman, the capital.

That's here !

The flight wasn't too bad-- I had the whole 2-seat row to myself, so I could spread out a bit.  Also, they gave me this spiffy 7-up, which I drank while eating a delicious turkey-and-avocado sandwich:


My layover is about 9 hours.  I considered leaving the airport and touring the city, but a couple things stopped me:

  • It's already 6 at night on a Wednesday.  In a few hours, there won't be much more to do
  • There's a $~30 visa I would need to purchase to leave the airport
  • Cab fare is $20 in both directions
  • It's snowing!  Apparently, this doesn't happen often, but when it does it's a big deal and everybody goes to grocery stories and buys up water bottles and bread and duct tape in case there's a national emergency and everyone dies.
    • that's probably exaggerating a little bit.
In any case, the internet that I'm mooching from the VIP lounge upstairs is not particularly good, so I'm going to sign off.  All the best!




No comments:

Post a Comment